|Quinn, Donovan / Honky Tonk Medusa|
|Album:||Honky Tonk Medusa||Collection:||General|
|Artist:||Quinn, Donovan||Added:||Jan 2012|
|Label:||Northern Spy Records|
|Add Date:||2012-03-02||Pull Date:||2012-05-05|
|Week Ending:||Mar 25||Mar 18||Mar 11|
|1.||Mar 19, 2012:||Ghost Trees |
|3.||Mar 08, 2012:||American Beauty |
|2.||Mar 14, 2012:||Modern Donkey - Melody Variation Part 1 |
We Called Her Slow Snow
|4.||Mar 05, 2012:||Ghost Trees |
|Guest DJ Account|
In Honky Tonk Medusa, Donovan Quinn creates a great mellow folk sound that sometimes deviates to more traditional indie. Quinn often introduces sounds unexpected to his genre, some that work (i.e. the distortion in Night Shift) and some that don’t work as well (i.e. the computer beeps in In the Bag). Key tracks are 4, 7, 8, 10. Possible FCC in track 5, but unclear.|
1) I Wanna Be Your Dogstar (0:43): Slow, introductory track with a pretty chorus.
2) Laughing City (4:45): slow track, typical folk rock instruments.
3) Night Shift (7:11): folksy track made unique by lots of distortion. At 1:16, the vocals cut out to just distortion. Then at 2:53 minutes, there are inaudible vocals. At 3:55, everything fades out, and the vocals return. At at 4:22, the song becomes a mellow folk instrumental.
**4) My Wife (4:12): Slow whispering love song, like Springsteen’s “I’m on Fire”.
5) Shadow on the Stone (3:38): Soft acoustic track. At 52 seconds, may be an FCC—can’t tell if it’s “shipped” or “shit”.
6) Dying City (3:40): Song actually starts at 0:05 after five seconds of inaudible voices. Starts as if it’s just another another slow, soft acoustic track, but as the song progresses the guitar is joined by numerous other instruments.
**7) We Called her Slow Snow (2:43): Slow tempo, interesting lyrics, subtle harmonies.
**8) The States (2:58): Slow piano-centric track, feels less folksy than rest of the album. Is almost like Radiohead’s “Pyramid Song”
9) In the Bag (1:54): Synth-driven slow burner with odd computer sounds in the last :30
**10) Love in an Evil World (4:42): Another quiet track with subtle but pretty guitar riff.
|1.||I Wanna Be Your Dogstar||6.||Dying City|
|2.||Laughing City||7.||We Called Her Slow Snow|
|3.||Night Shift||8.||The States|
|4.||My Wife||9.||In The Bag|
|5.||Shadow On The Stone||10.||Love In An Evil World|